Thursday, November 20, 2008

I learned all I need to know in Primary ...

I just got a calling in church to teach the 5 year olds. When I went to class each of the kids got to tell their own story that had nothing to do with anything. ... climbing trees ... falling down the stairs ... and getting burned with the curling iron. With in us all we have a little five year old dying to get out. These distracted and humorous stories reminded me of something my handsome husband did in Gospel Doctrine a couple months ago...

The Primary room is right next door to the room Gospel Doctrine is in. The Primary kids were singing and singing while Matt and I listened to the lesson in Sunday school. We heard through the shared wall the
kids singing "If You're Happy and You Know It." Matt started dancing a little in his seat to the lovely Primary kids voices. I leaned over and asked if he needed to go to Primary.
Matt immediately sat still and said, "NO."
I smiled and asked, "Do you even know what's going on right now?"
He looked puzzled for half a second and then said, "UM ... Happy time?!"

Matt didn't know that we were in 3 Nephi, nor did he realize that I actually meant what was going on in Gospel Doctrine class not in Primary. He answered as if he was in Primary along with the cute and distracted five year olds that like to feed chickens.

I laughed for a long time about this misunderstanding, and once Matt understood our misunderstanding he laughed right along with me.

We love 5 year olds.

5 comments:

Mary Jane said...

I am giggling now just imagining the scene! Thank goodness he did not start clapping his hands. I think Gospel Doctrine needs "sharing time" for those of us who are easily distracted.

Taylor said...

HA! I love that. I am exactly the same way. I don't know if I get anything out of lessons if there is a baby with in 50 feet of me. I am so easily distracted. One time a guy in my ward said that Heavenly Father probably does the same thing we do to little babies: He smiles and laughs as He watches us go through life babbling on about life's little joys.

Tyler and Carisa said...

I understand what your talking about!! I teach 5 year olds too and they are always making me laugh! I have realized how often we all have random 5 year old outbursts. There is probably more we can learn from them than there is to teach them. Don't we all need more "happy time"! =)

Brody said...

What a matt thing to do, i love it!

Anonymous said...

"My shoes are blue..."