Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful

As Thanksgiving is approaching I can't help but count my blessings. Not only is Thanksgiving a day to concentrate on what we're thankful for, be with family and friends, eat lots of food, bundle up, drink apple cider, have roasting marshmallow nights ... but it is also a time of year that holds a very special place in my heart for many reasons. Yet, there is one reason that stands out above all other reasons.

Just after Thanksgiving break was when, as a sophomore at BYU, I was FORCED (not really, although I acted like it) to memorize a boys phone number that I didn't know at the time I would remember for the rest of my life. I was bought at a service auction for way more than expected by that same boy. I was asked to the Christmas Devotional, two of my favorite things, by that same boy who would be my favorite forever. I remember after these first few encounters with Matt I talked to my mom about this handsome and very persistent young man.
She told me, "OOO! He is SOOO going to hold your hand at the Christmas Devotional!"
Our first date?!? I was shocked. "No mom. Of course he won't."
Well ... mom's are always right ... and I am glad. Thanksgiving is my time to be extra grateful for the wonderful man, husband, and father to my babies I am so lucky to have in my life.

While it is fun to reminisce ... first date, first kiss, proposal night, wedding day, first apartment ... I am WAY more excited for everyday that is yet to come with Matt. At this time of year I can't help but be thankful for that persistent young man who became a husband who will forever make me laugh, smile, feel fearless, feel strong, and feel like the most beautiful girl in the world.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I love everything about this. I'm grateful for that persistent boy too. Love you, Matthew.

Tyler and Carisa said...

So sweet. I may or may not have cried... I'll give you a hint. I did.

Jess said...

And that's really very sweet. I like this post most. I am happy my brother found someone to make him equally happy.

Mary Jane said...

What a blessing to have you in our family. You are a great wife and mother. I am thankful for your persistence and patience with Preston. We are so excited for the new baby!

Shaylee said...

Oh man. I really liked this post.

Clint and Kandi said...

oh reagan, you little sweetie poo. yes...matt is a great husband and father and we can tell he is adored by you and by preston... good job memorizing that phone number.

I especially like the part that says mom's are always right.hhhaaha it should actually say "often" or "mostly" right.