Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Saturday Night Fever (I couldn't resist)

I know quite a few people want to know what happened. So I thought I'd write it out for you. :)

On Saturday I woke up with a fever. Matt came home from his church meeting and graciously took Preston so I could rest. Being sick and pregnant is exhausting! By nighttime I was really feeling gross and sticky. I put Preston to bed and got in the shower, then got in bed myself. Matt came to bed shortly after. He said, "Reagan, you're bright red! I'm going to get the thermometer." As soon as he left the room I felt the HEAT. Gratefully he came back with ice water, ice packs, a spray bottle, a fan, and the thermometer. My temperature was 105.1 degrees. I said jokingly, "Great, now I'll be brain dead." Very much the wrong time to be joking around, Matt looked at me sternly as he applied all the cooling devices he had gathered. I then realized the seriousness of the situation and asked for a blessing. Afterwards we watched my temperature slowly drop one degree at a time. Within half an hour after my sweet husband gave me a priesthood blessing I was at 99 degrees. We slept well that night and woke up fever free.

When I went to my prenatal appointment yesterday and I told my doctor about this fever he said to me, "I think you need a new thermometer. When someone has a fever of 105 degrees they are either comatose, or illogical and screaming in pain. A temperature like that would not have dropped to a normal range within 30 minutes. And I hate to say this but, it would have killed your baby. But as we can both see your baby is just fine, strong heartbeat, and a perfectly normal sonogram. So, you sitting here telling me this story as if you were coherent through the whole thing is unheard of and impossible. Which leads me to believe that you need a new thermometer."
I couldn't help but smile and say "Okay." While I was truly thinking to myself, "Or maybe you should look into the power of God, doctor."

Just so everyone knows, we are all doing really well now. I no longer have a fever, and I have no other symptoms of sickness (except for a small rash on my face which is disappearing). The baby is doing well also. It has two arms, two legs, a head with brains, and a strong heart. It will be making it's debut around the first of the new year (gender soon to come). Preston had so much fun hanging out with his dad this weekend, I don't think he even realized that anything was going on. And Matt, my hero, is doing very well in school, is as sweet as ever, and lives so he can hold the priesthood honorably.

7 comments:

Taylor said...

Um...oh my word. I had no idea any of this was happening. Scary Reagan!

I'm glad you're okay. Have you tested your thermometer again?

Clint and Kandi said...

I am crying and grateful you are alright and that the priesthood is restored. God bless Matt.
love mom

Tyler and Carisa said...

Yay! I'm so happy you are doing better. I also had a fever when I was pregnant... mine lasted for three straight days. But I know that it never got up to 105! =D

Post some pics soon!

Jess said...

A head with brains. This is a great story. I believe it all. I hope for your children many cousins soon.


PS My egg sac will probably not be birthed until after you birth. It's stagnant.

Mary Jane said...

How grateful I am that you are OK. What a blessing it is that you are both righteous and faithful.

I am thankful for your cute little family.

Lauren said...

What the Hank? I never knew any of this happened. I'm so behind. I'm so hepe you're okay and the baby is too. Thank you Matthew and Heavenly Father. Love you!

And...Amen to Carisa's PS

Laura said...

Wow Reagan! What a neat experience though for you to know that Heavenly Father is watching out for you. I'm glad that you AND the baby are well.